Pic source: here
Hi Bro Sis! Long time no post. How's life? I hope you are doing well. Mine? I am pretty good, but currently having such a kinda mixed feeling: excited, blessed, anxious, and nervous are all at once.
Next month is going to be challenging because I am going to wander to another place that is a bit far and quite different than before. Oh how I love Jogja and Bandung so much, so I hope this another-place will be also another 'home' for me as well.
I keep wondering. Can I adapt to a new work environment with so many diversities? Can I keep up with those great colleagues? Can I voice what's on my mind easily to them?
Despite those thoughts, I asked my mentor Russel how to face it and he gave me some tips. Here they are.
- Be confident. They hired you because they value you. Every new beginning can have challenges, but you'll be able to succeed.
- Remember that many of the others are also not native English speakers. Some are but probably most are not. You're in the sane boat.
- If you are going to make a formal presentation, be sure to rehearse it in advance, in front of a friend or coworker, or at least in front of a mirror.
- Even if it's not a formal presentation, but you are planning ahead to put your ideas forward, practice saying them out loud. Rehearse.
- If you are in a meeting or discussion and want to add something without previous rehearsal, begin your comments with some bridge phrase like: "I want to build on that idea by suggesting..." or "We could make that even better by..." or more negatively: "Here's another way to look at it..." or "It might be more effective to..."
Wish me luck and I hope this article will be helpful for you, too.